Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things" 

I'm sure you're familiar with that tune :0) With that in mind, I wanted to list a few of a dancer's favorite things.  They might be minor things to anyone else, but to a Polynesian dancer, these things are as good as GOLD!
  • Bobby pins
  • Hair berets 
  • Safety pins
  • Hook & eyes 
  • Industrial velcro
  • Fire-engine-red color lipstick
  • False lashes (The Best Kine from Longs)
  • Lash glue (Shiseido brand only from Japan direct)
  • Bushy, bushy, BIG hair!
  • Coconut bra
  • Hula panty
  • Angel Cake cutter (to shred them ti leaves)
  • Dog grooming brush (to shred them tahitian grass skirts)
  • Twine
  • Scissors
  • Extra black shoelace strings
Those are just a FEW things that are essential to have on hand as a dancer.  I have a huge tool box at home filled with "tools" that I need when it comes to costume making and show prepping!!  It's kind of ridiculous.  What I also think is ridiculous is the amount of space that my costumes take up.  It's bad enough that women, in general, keep a whole closet(s) and drawer(s) full of clothes!  So, can you imagine needing double that amount because your show costumes take up that same amount of space!  Hundreds of colors of show pareu's, practice pareu's, pau skirts, ahu purotu dresses, hula vignette dresses, cellophane skirts, pule tasi's, piu piu skirts, feathered outfits, headpieces, mother of pearl accessories, coconut accessories, rafia/lauhala outfits and accessories, muu muus [Yes, I do own and wear muu muus on occassion haha!], hula implements-uli uli's, pu'ili's, & ipu, headpieces... etc., etc.

Yes, this is just another thing you might want to consider if you ever decide to live with a dancer because chances are she'll probably ask for double the space just to house all of her "native attire" HAHAHA! Have a happy Thursday everyone!!  Weekend is almost here!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: A few of my NEW favorite things :0)

Just a couple of outfits I picked up from a boutique, House of Aria, courtesy of the birthday gift certificate that I got from Marichris and Leilani!  Yeah, I'm so on a budget these days!  I only ended up spending $58 for these three items because I had that gift certificate :0)  **pat on the back for me**

6 comments:

  1. i remember hauling a huge suitcase and a makeup case every saturday for this hula/tahitian dancer i once dated -_-

    it's pretty radical the stuffs dancers have to have

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute outfits! I guess we have to go out so we can see how it looks like in person =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJ- LOL. That's right! I totally forgot about that. Well she was lucky to have you to help her haul her stuff. I gotta load and unload my crap all by my lonesome :((

    Lani- Not as cute as your outfits, but I agree that we should go out so I can put them to use! No sense wearing them around the house for cookie, nani, and nohea lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont forget wiggy!! thats another favorite thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you use Cookie's grooming brush to groom your ti-leaf skirts?? HAHAAHAHAHA poor Cookie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the outfits you got from House of Aria! Yes, we definitely need to make a trip to Formaggio so you can rock your new clothes!

    ReplyDelete