Monday, November 22, 2010

Giving back to my High School Alma Mater

Have I already mentioned to you that I'm married to dancing???  So being that I love it so much and it pretty much occupies almost every minute of my life outside of work, I get overfilled with joy when given the opportunity to share this culture with anyone and everyone.  Recently, a very good friend of mine, Ed, asked me and another good friend of ours, Ian, to coordinate a short presentation for his senior class council's Senior Luau (because Ed is the senior class advisor).  How could Ian and I decline such an amazing opportunity?  We were more than glad to do this for our awesome friend :)

On November 20th, their Senior Luau was in effect and I am so glad that I was able to attend and watch them push-push-geev'um the best that they could [I have a video clip that I've been trying to upload all day, but it's been giving me problems :( but I really want to show everyone what an amazing performance they let out]. Majority of these student have no background in Polynesian dancing and due to everyone's crazy schedule, we have only met to teach the dance and practice 5 times before their actual performance.  Of course, we have asked them to practice on their own and we trust that they did because their performance turned out real amazing!  They did their best, they smiled, they were happy/nervous/excited to perform--What more could we ask for??  Nothing because they are amazing and respectful students and we totally appreciate their efforts :)

I ended up staying awake until 2:30am to work on 16 of the girls hei's and finish just in time for their performance.  I started at 9pm and didn't think it would take me so long.  After I got through 9 of them I called up one of my hula sisters, Litea, to help me out in finishing the rest and she did... and so did 3 glasses of Sake!  Haha!  She's awesome!!  I worked on the boys' arm, leg, neck, and head pieces just moments prior to the arrival of guests and surprisingly I finished for all seven of them!  I knew I was pressed for time so I was worried that the boys wouldn't look as completely charming as the girls did... but hey, time ain't got nothing on me lol, I finished their fresh costumes and was able to put it on them just in time for their performance!

I wanted to take a group shot of them before they tore it up on stage, but didn't get a chance to.  However, here's a pic of some of them shortly after exiting the stage :)  I think they look cute and charming!  You probably think the same or think otherwise, which is fine, but ehh, don't hate because these kids worked so hard and were very determined to get the dance right so they totally earned my love and respect!  Cheeeehuuuuu!  Shakas all around \m/

1 comment: